Should a Minister Charge Money Before Ministering?

Should a Minister Charge Money Before Ministering?

A few years ago, I had to put a call through to a film maker and evangelical dramatist inviting him for our drama night. He's a popular actor, film maker and teacher which many would know if mentioned

He picked and promised to call me back at a more convenient time. He did. He told me he had called due to the respect he has for my church but quickly added that I wouldn't be able to afford him because the cost would be beyond me

I tried to convince him otherwise but he gave me a lengthy explanation telling me the last church he ministered where I saw his group, they had charged hundreds of thousand of Naira which was paid to his bank account before he attended.

I couldn't blame him for charging money when he told me how in the past, it would cost him N15,000 to bring his crew and get some props to minister in a church but after ministration, he would be given an envelope that contained N3,000. He also told me there were cases where the pastor in charge would approve N50,000 for his group but the fellow in charge would give him only N5,000. "It cost me a lot of money to study Theatre Arts in school, it's a profession, therefore, I've got to be paid," he concluded
Honestly, I agree with him totally; Theatre Arts is a profession that costs a lot to study. If someone had spent that much, he should be paid for his services

Some people think it's right for a minister who is a singer, drummer, keyboardist, preacher, evangelist, prophet etc to charge before ministering, others think they shouldn't, while some simply do not know exactly which one is right. This article is meant to help explain the situation for people to make their choices. This is simply my mind and it doesn't bother me whether you agree or not
Now let me tell you one of my personal experiences. About about a year ago, I was invited to a church for a 2-day teaching and prayer meeting. I had to travel for over an hour before getting there. Immediately I entered the church, the Holy Spirit told me, "this church doesn't give, that's why they are like this." During the preaching, I told them to start giving and that their lack of giving is what caged the church
Image result for an instrumentalist
Normally, I should have lodged in a hotel but I had a friend in that town so, I went to sleep in his house. On day 2, I helped them raise some money after they told me to do so. The Holy Spirit moved mightily in that programme. After the programme, I was expecting someone to see me off with a package as usual, but to my greatest surprise, I realised that the pastor and the church leaders didn't make any provision for me, not even water or food, let alone money.

A brother came to meet me (not even the pastor or an elder) outside the church and told me that the pastor said the church would have to hold a meeting later to decide what they would give me. It's over a year now, the pastor of that church hasn't even flashed my phone let alone texting or calling. I have never seen anything like that in my life. That's just one out of many experiences. If not for that brother, I could have been stranded in a place where I ministered for two good days. A church like that can never grow

Here is the point, a large percentage of those ministers who charge started doing such as a result of their horrible experiences from churches and ministries. Why should you invite a minister to your church and not make adequate provision for him? You should settle the minister first before your sound engineer or any other thing you spent money on. People rather settle other things before thinking of the minister. Any time someone sweats for you, your church or ministry, without having anything to go with you place a curse on that church or ministry. That's one thing many don't know
I have never invited a minister to my church without first making adequate provision for him. He or she is God's ambassador who deserves honour and care. First, I'll think of what he'll eat; what he'll drink; his transport and then what he'll take home, no matter how small. But he should at least smile. He probably has a family too. The moment anyone fails to meet these conditions, the anointing of that minister would not work for him, rather it would turn to a curse

Perhaps, I'll write a part two to this article to have a wider explanation but let me quickly touch the other side of it
It is not everyone who sings or preaches or plays instruments or conducts deliverance that's doing God's work, many are simply doing personal business, they are circular musicians and motivational speakers; they are mercenaries — motivated by private gain. Unfortunately, many of them attach, "Pastor or Evangelist" to their names because they don't know the implication
If you had spent money to learn or it cost a lot to bring your band boys and you feel you should charge a certain amount, you're a circular man, not a minister. But there is no sin in being a circular musician or motivational speaker. You can be a circular musician and still sing in church, why not?

Image result for Yinka ayefele

When Jesus sent his disciples out, he told them in Matthew 10 and Luke 10, "anywhere you go, WHATEVER THEY GIVE YOU take, the labourer deserves his wages. Freely did you receive , freely give." These words of Jesus are not obsolete, they are still the standard and will forever be. A minister is not to charge money, whatever they give you is what you should take. Any minister who charges money isn't a servant of God, he's a servant of his belly
I have never charged money in my life and will never. The day I charge is the day I lose my ministry and anointing. The anointing isn't mine, it's divine. I can't charge for what isn't mine. Watch closely, you'd see that those who charge mostly don't carry any anointing. They are mere entertainers. It's better to tag yourself "circular businessman" than say you're a gospel... On judgement day, Jesus will ask you why you monetized what he asks you to give for free

To balance it, as a minister, if it would cost instruments or band guys to minister in a church, better let the one who's inviting you handle the cost without adding a penny to it. Let your ministration be free. Tell your band boys it's evangelism not stomachgelism; its gospel not goatmeat. And count your success by souls that are saved; healing and deliverance that took place, not the dance or applause that you receive

As a church or ministry, if you're inviting someone, ask what they need and provide every single thing including food, water, conducive room, if necessary, and something to take home. If you're not capable, better not invite anybody. God is the owner of the ministry, not you. Don't be a Gehazi who collected gift on behalf of the one who carried the anointing. Be careful!

God bless you